Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Balmer Lawrie Investment : A Legacy of "Disinvestment"

A few years back, I B P Co Ltd was disinvested by GOI.  As the Government were keen to retain Balmer Lawrie & Co Ltd which was a subsidiary of before mentioned  I B P Co Ltd , a demerger of that investment from I B P co was found to be a way out. Consequently, the President of India along with other minority shareholders of  I B P Co Ltd were allotted one share of Balmer Lawrie Investment for every share in I B P Co Ltd .

It is another thing that GOI's Maha Ratna agriesively took over the I B P Co Ltd  at a huge premium to market rate & eventually merged with itself.

For various RBI, NBFC requirements, Balmer Lawrie Investment had to incurred various expenses/compliance even though prima facia it is just holding Balmer Lawrie & Co Ltd on behalf of the GOI  . It is practically holding one share of Balmer Lawrie for around 220 shares in  Balmer Lawrie Investment .

As the GOI is considering the way of "Buy back" route for disinvestment target, it may consider to merge the "Investment" with  Balmer Lawrie & Co Ltd   so that same may be viable.

No comments:

Post a Comment